FURNACE MALFUNCTIONING? BE CAUTIOUS AND INCREASE ITS LIFE
So with the winters approaching, you decided to get a furnace installed in your home. Few months down the lane and you start to notice the sudden pattern of escalating electric bills or your furnace acting weird, now and then.
There are many reasons as to why our furnace is not functioning correctly. To make sure your furnace remains energy efficient and to cut down the electricity bills, periodically inspect your furnace and look for the following defects:
The heat exchanger is an essential component of the furnace that keeps the breathing air and the combustion chamber separate. There can be many reasons by which a heat exchanger’s functionality is hampered.
- The obvious sign of damage in a heat exchanger would be the obvious cracks. If you see any cracks formed in the metal, immediately contact a local furnace repair service. If you are unable to see any damage or crack but the air from the furnace feels suspicious, chances are some cracks can only be seen by an infrared light which professionals use.
- Soot from the combustion process can build up and seep through the metal cracks, lowering the efficiency of the furnace.
- A broken furnace is the most common source of emitting carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is emitted due to incomplete combustion of the fuel. In a furnace, carbon monoxide comes from a cracked heat exchanger or a poorly operating burner.
- Water damage, of any gravity, can lead to a long-term hazard.
- Keep an eye on the gas line, since a minor crack in them can make the furnace emit an odor and curtail its performance.
- Dirty air vents and faulty pump system can force the furnace to work multiple time harder which affects the overall performance, which degrades the quality of the air you breathe and increasing chances of dust and molds in the house. Keep checking air ducts for any crack or hole, since ¼ the of the air from the furnace escapes through the gaps, which put a severe strain on the furnace to use more energy to heat up the room.
- Clogged filters degrade the quality of the air that flows through the furnace. A furnace let the air flow through it and captures the irritants. But the dust and debris might settle on the filter and form layers, which will inhibit its purifying property.
- If the furnace is unable to bring your home to the desired temperature and you detect a strange smell or improper heating, the boiler of the furnace might be damaged.
Make sure you keep inspecting your furnace for any crack or damage to its part, especially the heat exchanger. If you notice any change in the operation of the furnace and have seen the harm done or even if you are unable to figure out the cause of the noise or any other fault, immediately contact a furnace repair service in Vancouver before the furnace get labeled into the beyond economical repair category and had to be replaced , thus magnifying your expense.